The online radio and audio streaming applied to vertical sectors
Defining what I want to do and why is the principle of any business project. Today, an online radio, can be a business itself or a corporate tool for internal communication,marketing or training.
The streaming is a point-to-pointcommunication through a borderless supportsuch as the Internet but it goes a step further. Like radio did not stay in Marconi, the characteristics of the new channel redesign the concept of radio communication through aspects such as media, big data or accessibility to new technology.
This accessibility to technology and knowledge revolutionizes communication control and generates a structure of the audiovisual system with lower concentration. Bustamante forecasted that this concentration moves to the technological and content side; but also arises many intermediaries in the final dissemination and the marketing investment soars.
But the opportunity remains strong for the creation and accessibility to new models and the reality is that new operators are beginning to benefit from online radio and audio streaming for their interests, whether these are economic or not:
- Public institutions as in the case of municipalities can use it for internal or external communication, usually as a public service.
- Educational institutions: for internal communication or as a service (school and university radios) or as a business model based on service monetization.
- Federations, associations, organizations and other institutions dedicated to other topicsor to a specific project. This is the case of religious radios more common in America butEurope has the case of the Vatican radio which recently digitalised its audio files.
- Companies generally opt for thematic and preferably musical radios to improve their user experience on their websites as a marketing strategy and trying to associate their brands with emotions and music building these emotional universes. This is the case ofPepe Jeans.
- Individuals and media professionals seeking to undertake its own environment, its ownmodel and strategy.
- The traditional media that transfer their programming to the new media. Usually keepthe business model based on commercial sound opportunities and leverage media moreslowly due to the rigidity of their business structures.
- Other companies that belong to the Cultural Industry: online portals, record labels, producers, festivals, publishing, video games …
- Entrepreneurs that based on the possibilities of streaming audio create their own businesses focused on the transmission of audio content live or on demand. In this casemany projects have not been yet defined.
A radio not only has to be sporty but may be of a particular sport; even a specific category orteam. The same applies to the history, nature, health, languages, literature, cinema …
More local and community initiatives arise based on a geographical specialization but also on gender or age.
We’d love you to share with us your own adventure. What programming, subject or marketing strategy would you apply if you could create your own online radio?