How to improve the SEO of our online videos
In previous post we have talked about the benefits that video content can deliver to our website. According to the study recently published by Vidyard, 82% of the marketing professionals surveyed believe that video content achieves the goals of their campaigns. Not only meets the objectives, but also 60% believe it is a goodinbound marketing tool.
In this post we give some tips on how you can getbetter rankings for your video content.
First step: create a sitemap
Our main goal is to get the search engines to find online videos that we have posted on our website. Therefore we should create a sitemap (map of our website). The sitemap is an XMLfile that contains a list of pages on our website, along with additional information such as how often we update our content, urls, etc.
Our sitemap should include:
- The video title: this information is particularly valuable and we must work it well, we suggest you include some of your main keywords and especially that your title is unique.
- Metadata: that includes a short description of the video content.
- URL where you can watch the video
- Thumbnail URL of the video
- URL of the video raw file
You can find more information about the sitemap at Google’s support page.
Another good tip to index properly
The technology of search engines is evolving rapidly and apparently in the very near futuretools of visual recognition will be used, but until these become operational our “plan B” may be to include a video transcription on the page where it is published.
Where to publish your videos
It can be very tempting to upload our videos to free video platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc. But we must think well what purpose are we pursuing: views or organic traffic to our website?
It is true! over one billion users visit YouTube every month, and it is very likely that if we publish our video there we get a good volume of views … but what will be the profile of thoseviews? My competitors videos will appear in the related videos? What about the traffic? If you want to have organic traffic from videos to your website and have more control over them, then you will have to have a payment platform (this option is much cheaper than you may believe).
Final tips that can help you
- Remember not to make a video too long nor too short (less than 10 seconds), it should have the right length so that It’s not hard to watch it entirely.
- The “shares” also count! Increased number of shares on social networks better positioning. Search engines interpret your content is valuable.
- Try not to publish multiple videos on one page.